Friday, August 10, 2007

Public Comment On Power Plant

Yesterday was the day for public comment before the Public Service Commision regarding the proposed AEP-SWEPCO power plant. PSC Commissioners Paul Suskie, Darryl Basset, and David Newbern listened to roughly four hours of testimony from close to 40 speakers. Many more than that were in attendance as they heard 6 people voice their opposition to the plant, with the remainder all in favor of the project. Even though the supporters far outnumbered those 6 against, a forum was provided to express your point of view. As it always should be. I gave my five minute talk near the end of the day and voiced my support based on the overwhelming majority of my constituents who want this to happen, and also the fact that SWEPCO has an excellent history of being a good community partner and corporate citizen. In the end, I doubt that anything said yesterday is going to sway the commissioners in their decision; as the lawyers will have the last word, but I appreciated the opportunity.

No comments: