Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Power Plant Arguments

Monday will find me in Little Rock once again as the Public Service Commission hears closing arguments concerning the SWEPCO Power Plant. Each side will have 30 minutes to make their case before the commissioner's and then it's just sit back and wait for the decision. The commission has 60 days from closing arguments to approve or deny the permit to proceed. I hope we can have a decision sooner than later, but I suspect they will take the maximum amount of time in what most certainly will be a monumental decision for Southwest Arkansas. In the end, I believe SWEPCO and the hunting clubs can co-exist quite well with little or no environmental impact to the area. I base that presumption on the evidence I saw at the 30 year old plant in Gentry, with all concerned being very happy for the industry being there. We will see if our state genuinely believes in economic progress or whether we're just giving lip service to making a better life for our children. I can certainly envision the rich and powerful hunting clubs being able to stop this project to protect their playground, but I'm holding out hope that the PSC enables the vast majority of Southwest Arkansas citizens to have a say in their future, and some day have a chance to enjoy the same prosperity enjoyed by the intervenors. Now we will wait.

No comments: