Monday, January 21, 2008

Here And There

I attended a noon time celebration today honoring Dr. Martin Luther King, at the Providence Missionary Baptist church here in Hope. A good crowd was there and heard Congressman Mike Ross and Deputy Prosecuting Attorney, Angie Taylor, provide the keynote addresses. It was a good cross section of our community and I appreciate the opportunity to be involved.

Steve Harrrelson has an interesting spot on his blog about a Representative from Arizona who is introducing legislation aimed at penalizing those legislators who miss votes. The penalty being discussed is to dock the missing legislator a day's pay. His theory that being a legislator means voting your conscience and providing a voice for your constituents on each and every bill sounds reasonable to me. Having said that, no matter how reasonable it sounds, there are times when meetings can't be avoided and ultimately a decision on missing a vote or making a meeting has to be made. Those are not always easy decisions. I personally try to make all the votes and schedule meetings when we aren't in session. Though I don't think this type of legislation will be filed, if it were, exceptions on sickness and emergencies would have to be included.

The New England Patriots have been installed as 13 1/2 point favorites over the New York Giants in the upcoming Super Bowl. Here's my take on that---I believe the Giants have a better than outside shot to upset the perfect Patriots. The two weeks will give the Giants secondary a chance to heal up, and the Giants are one of the few teams that can put pressure on the QB without blitzing. Eli will have to play well and the Giants can't lose the turn-over battle. If all that happens, the game should be close, with the Giants having their shot.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think there must have been something in the punch at that gathering.

NYG stands no chance. Well, ok they do stand a chance but only because SOMEONE has to get steamrolled by New England.

I think you should defer to your broadcast partner's opinion, unless of course he had the punch also.

David "Bubba" Powers said...

Chris,
Thank you for the input regarding the Patriots. As you may or may not know, I'm not prone to drinking anyone's punch; or kool-aid for that matter. In picking the Giants to have a chance at the upset, I've based my choice on solid prognostication and I just can't take the easy way out by picking those perfect patriots.