Friday, January 25, 2008

Tom Brokaw Had Him Pegged

A giant of a man will celebrate his 85th birthday on Saturday. I should say that the giant I'm talking about barely scrapes 5' 10'' and weighs in at maybe 175 lbs. Certainly not a giant by any standard. But you have to use a different measuring stick when you talk about those of "The Greatest Generation". It's important that you measure the life-long committments to their God, their Country and their Family. Plenty of skeptics will say those values are out-dated and even corny. Well no matter what they say, they can't deny that without the giants and great Americans like my father, Leland Powers, who fought to save our world during the 1940's, none of us would be where we are today. The old saying goes that many of us got to our stations in life by standing on the shoulders of giants. I know that's got to be true because I've been perched atop my Daddy's for way too long. I want to thank him for that and wish him the happiest birthday ever. I pray he knows that if he ever gets tired of holding me up, I would be honored to change places, so he can see forever one more time.

No comments: