Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Stuff Going On

I'm a bit behind in the blogging because so much has been going on around here. Saturday I was in Texarkana celebrating with the Governor, Congressman Ross and lots of local citizens, the Cooper Tire announcement that they were staying in Texarkana. Even though this was announced a few weeks ago, it was a good opportunity for the state and the community to get together and thank everyone who had a hand in saving several hundred good paying jobs.

Vigi and I drove to Dallas early Sunday morning to visit our niece, Michawn Davis, who is in the Baylor Medical Center. Michawn has an extremely rare intestinal disease and this was her 54th admission to Baylor in the past 13 years. This child has undergone 36 major procedures in that time, and frankly, we are fortunate she is still with us. But she is as tough as anyone I've ever known and a true inspiration to our family. She was admitted the day we were sworn in and this was my first chance to see her since that day. She seems to be doing better and we hope for her return home soon.

Monday was my Daddy, Leland Powers, 86th birthday. Even though I didn't really get to celebrate with him, he knows and understands how much I think of him. And by the way, I think it's a good thing to call your father Daddy. Even though I'm 54 years old and twice the size of him, this decorated Navy veteran of WWII will never be a Dad, a Pop or a Father. He's always going to be Daddy, and rightfully so. Congratulations on your 86 years Daddy.

The felony animal cruelty bill came through Judiciary this morning and passed out easily with only one no vote. Rep. Terry Rice (R)-Waldron was the lone dissenter in referring this to a full house vote. As I've said before, this is legislation long past due and should sail out of the house, awaiting only Governor Beebe's signature.

Even though the weather was getting yucky pretty quick, we had a reception last night hosted by the Texarkana Chamber of Commerce. Good friends were all over the place, and I can safely say the barbque meal was quite a treat. As I write this, the weather report is gloomy and several thousand, particularly the northwest, are already without power. Hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

No comments: