Monday, February 2, 2009

Monday Monday

Ok, we're back at it and I think it's going to be a pretty interesting week. Judiciary gets Rep. Pyle's bill tomorrow regarding carrying a concealed weapon to church. Though I straddled the fence on this at first, I'm pretty convinced that this is an over-reaction to some horrible tragedies. In fact, most of my calls and e-mails have asked that I vote against the legislation. I get to have a listen in the morning.

The cigarette tax and immigration bills continue to gather the most attention from e-mailers. I will say that my mail box has been pretty evenly matched for those for and against on both issues. It also appears the lottery bill is pretty close to firming up and some say it will be over a hundred pages long. Should be a fun read.

Rep. David Rainey and I are in the process of raising money from house members to go towards those Arkansans devastated by last week's storms. In 2007, Dumas was hit by a major tornado and the membership responded with several thousand dollars donated to the recovery. Hope we can do it again, but this is a larger area and we need to come up with a central location to distribute the funds.

The Super Bowl exceeded everybody's expectations and was pretty entertaining. One of my friends pointed out that the Super Bowl might be the only event that we've participated in for 43 straight years. That's probably true since a stomach virus, and the phenagren that chased it away, knocked me out for the Christmas of 93. Now there's a fond memory.

No comments: